In this article we would like to share with you, a natural homemade and soothing muscle rub, which is very easy to make it by yourself at home. Many of the needed ingredients might be in your kitchen at the moment. The ones you’re missing, you can find them in any coop or natural food store.
If you are asking yourself why is the cayenne the main ingredient in this joint rub, we have just the right answer for you!
Why Cayenne Pepper Works for Muscle Pain
The active compound in the cayenne, the capsaicin, can release “substitute P” inside our body. This substitute P is released from the inflammatory cells from our immune system, and also from our nerve cells. The substitute P is relieving the body from pain, and stimulates the process of relieving many cytokines that promote a very healthy inflammatory response.
Cayenne is also able to dilate our blood vessels, which opens a door for more anti-inflammatory cells, to act and enter the affected area. When you constantly add cayenne on the affected area, the pain is reduced for a bit. Or in other words, the pain is the same, but you feel less.
So the area starts to feel less painful. This gives you to take the steps you need to heal the affected area. Whether it is going to be stretching, exercising, walking or a physical therapy, using the cayenne will help your body to heal faster!
Beyond the Cayenne
The rub we will tell you, is full of helpful ingredients, that will treat your achy and tired muscles, and relax them. With that, it will help with the healing process too!
Coconut oil is a very beneficial oil, it helps with the nourishing of the skin. Due to its antimicrobial abilities, it makes it a perfect base for the rub we’ll tell you about. Coconut oil on its own, has the pain relieving abilities, and has some anti-inflammatory properties.
Raw Cocoa Butter is also helping to nourish the skin. It will be easily absorbed by the skin, and has a lot of antioxidants. So mixing it with some herbs, it will provide amazing and relaxing effects on your muscles.
Ginger is one of the most commonly used spices in the Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Its effects can cause a warming, it contains some anti-inflammatory abilities too. It stimulates and helps with the blood flow, which is why it would be great for the muscle rub. Therefore, the ginger will help with the blood flow, making old inflammatory cells leave the affected area, and bring new to act and relieve from the pain.
Turmeric is quite similar to the Ginger, it is also a spice and is used from long ago, because of its healing and anti-inflammatory effects. The turmeric will keep our body’s inflammation checked, and it can also reduce the swelling in the affected area. Don’t ever forget, that inflammation is always a good idea for our healing process, but not a chronic inflammation.
Peppermint Essential Oil contains huge menthol amounts inside it. This is one of the most used compounds for pain and soreness in our muscles, and it also helps them to relax. Peppermint is a perfect replace for ice, it cools the affected area. But the cold effect will be balanced perfectly, with the warming effect from the ginger. The ginger is working on bringing new cells, and warms the area, while this one is trying to cool it down.
This is the perfect combination for your muscles!
If you want to use this rub, for your painful and sore muscles, just remember these few things:
- Make sure you are resting your muscle or affected area as much as it needs, some of us forget this, we forget that the area is in chronic pain. Only resting can boost the healing process! For example, if you have back pain in the lower area, laying down with your legs up or laying on a flat surface, can often be very helpful!
- Water is needed to move your blood around more and more, so make sure you drink a lot of water. The immune cells that can reduce the inflammation are just waiting to reduce an inflammation. Drinking water will also boost the healing process. You can see how much water you need by yourself, drink half of your body weight in ounces, on daily basis. If y have injured yourself, drink 15 to 20 ounces, it will surely help you with the healing process!
- Take the Turmeric Capsules, they can help with the reducing of the pain and can help with the healing process too. Taking the 1,500mg Turmeric capsules daily, replace the NSAIDs pain reducers, but they provide no side-effects like the NSAIDs.
Cayenne Pepper Cream for Muscle & Joint Pain:
- 2 teaspoons of organic Cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon of organic Ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon of organic Turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup of beeswax
- 1/4 cup of raw cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 4 oz. glass jar
- Put the cocoa butter, the coconut oil and beeswax in and place them in a glass bowl. Put the glass bowl into a saucepan that has 2 or 3 inches of water inside it. (place the bowl in the water to rest)
- Then put the pan on low heat, and just mix until the beeswax and cocoa butter, become one with the coconut oil, until you get a nice and smooth mixture.
- Then add the turmeric, ginger and cayenne powder into the mixture too, mix well until they disappear completely in the mix. (about 1 minute)
- Remove the pan from heat and add the peppermint oil too.
- Put the mixture in a jar that will fit, and then let it cool down first, before you place a lid on the top.
- Use only on your affected area.
It is best for you to keep it in the fridge, because there are no preservatives inside it, so it will not last very long, about 6 to 8 weeks maximum.
CAUTION: Make sure you wash your hands after using the rub, because the peppermint and cayenne are very strong. Also the turmeric, can make your skin yellow, but don’t worry it is normal, and it does come off if you wash it after the use (keep it away from your clothes too).